Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Bone to Pick

The pack and I have encountered many different types of dog bones in our day. We often choose to use raw bones, however Rocco has had a raw hide bone since he moved in around July.

I am not a big supporter of raw hide bones for various reasons, so I was not too upset when I realized Rocco had no interest in chewing the rawhide bones. He would just pick them up, hide them, and then grab a raw bone to chew on. Any time I would find his hidden bone he would take it and hide it somewhere else. He did the same thing with the one we kept at my parents house. Whenever we would visit my parents house (every few months), he would find it bone, show it off, and then hide it in a new place.

I never really knew why he chose not to chew up the rawhides. He had no problem chewing up other bones or treats, it was just the rawhide that he would hide. One day earlier this week the mystery was solved.





I was in the living room with the LD





I stumbled upon the hidden raw hide. I threw it on the couch next to the Little Dog and to my surprise she began to 'chew' on it. I say 'chew' because Little Dog is an old elder-shit with less than six teeth. She has never shown any interest in chewing on anything much less a bone.

When Rocco came in the room he was curious about what little dog was doing.  
  He slowly laid down beside her to get a peek at the action
 
It did not take long for Little Dog to tire out from bone chewing and walk away. 
I expected Rocco to grab the bone and hide it again. Instead, to my amazement, he started chewing on it!
 This is when I realized that the only reason Rocco hid the bone before and didn't chew it up is because he didn't know!!! The human pack members were shocked. What kind of dog doesn't know what to do with a raw hide? What one year old pit bull is confused by a rawhide bone and has to rely on a 12 year old shitzu with no teeth to demonstrate?
 That's my dog. Needless to say he demolished that raw hide in several minutes and now completely understands its purpose. Silly puppy.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment